Saturday, June 17, 2006

The Scottish Hotel Biscuit Challenge

I launch it here and now:- the Scottish hotel biscuit challenge. I can't believe how many times I've gone into a rural hotel, mid afternoon in Scotland and ordered a cup of tea. I'll pause politely, then ask if they have biscuits, or scones or 'anything like that.' They can usually do tea (often with uht milk from a plastic thimble) but the biscuit part leaves them with a blank or mildly disapproving expression. It's as if I'm asking for a cup of tea and some class A drugs please. Eye rolling and intake of breath ensue. You're a HOTEL, for god's sake; not a fishing tackle shop or a sawdust and spit bar. Sort it out.

Apart from that, I'm still on holiday enjoying the nature-fest and conversations with friendly locals. People I meet after 20 years away say, 'you still look the same,' which is nice. They've forgotten the Madonna 80's perm then.

-C

3 comments:

Orynthia said...

Talking of Madonna 80s perm, did you see "The History of the Curly Perm" on BBC4 last night? So bad we had to watch it all.

Orynthia said...

Talking of Madonna 80s perm, did you see "The History of the Curly Perm" on BBC4 last night? So bad we had to watch it all.

Ciara said...

Hi O,

I missed it but it sounded a worthy topic for investigation.
To think I used to be embarrassed of my straight hair...

-c