Tuesday, October 30, 2007

Nearly November

Lordy, it's been so long since I blogged, I almost forgot my blogger password. Life has been flying past - I find that time has the illusion of speeding up in late autumn as you think, jeeze, it'll be Christmas in a few weeks. The Mince pies are on buy one, get one free already.

I'm still enjoying the trial placement at the Friendly Wee Film Company. Okay, so that's not their name, but I can describe them as such. As it's voluntary, I can still come and go without being stressed up to my eyelashes. That's a treat reserved for the real working world. Will I get there one day? Who knows.

I met an ME acquaintance on the street recently and when he asked me how I was, I told him that the Mickel Therapy was still helping me. He looked wholly skeptical (as I was initially) and I could tell it was not the answer he was looking for. I'll bring you down to earth a bit, he joked, you looked just like your mum there. Politics, huh?

-C

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

What do you mean by "politics"? I'm genuinely glad that you are doing well but for many of us all of these Reverse type therapies offer us nothing and no benefit. It is then very galling to read all of the ringing endorsements of said "therapies" and the intimation that it is our fault if they don't work. Hardly helpful to very ill and vulnerable people. Take care.

Ciara said...

hi Anon,

well, I just meant it was tricky to chat when I felt this ME aquaintance was 'galled' by my improvement, as you say. But I know exactly what you mean. I used to feel galled too, when CBT / GET was touted as the way forward because there is nothing worse than feeling that people think you aren't trying hard enough, when you feel you're trying your life away.

Often, I myself, get annoyed at MT as I feel I am still a long way from recovery. Today, in fact, I am really struggling.

Have you tried any of these therapies to no avail?

-C

Anonymous said...

Hi Ciara,

Thanks for your comments and explaining what you meant.

To be honest I don't know what to think! I have not tried any of these type of therapies myself yet. Believe me I have been tempted.

I have done extensive research into all of these type of therapies but have decided, for now, that I am unconvinced of their efficacy for ME and can't afford the money for them anyway.

I can't see how they would work for me. I have been very honest with myself and have looked for any possible emotional issues or stress, but I can honestly say there aren't any, and never have been. I was very happy at the time of becoming ill and had a definite viral infection. I just don't buy the theories.

One of my main worries and concerns with these therapies is that they really do seem to make the patient feel guilty if the treatment isn't successful. This I find abhorrent and totally unacceptable. I also feel that there could be a tendancy to produce people who are obsessed with looking inwards all the time and it seems to promote almost a kind of selfishness in a person.

Anyway that's my feelings, even if I probably haven't put them over very well. I'm sorry that you were struggling when you wrote this. I hope you're feeling better now. Just be a bit careful with the promotion of MT etc because there's many out there for whom it hasn't been the answer, and may possible give ammunition to the psychologisers out there :o)

Take care, and I wish you well.

K