Thursday, February 02, 2006

And We Give it.


Don't be fooled by their jolly, colourful exterior. If they knock on the door, don't invite them in for tea. It's too late here. I seem to be processing a raging flu type virus. It's making itself right at home: eating extra chocolate biscuits without even asking.
So much of living with ME is weighing up what you can and can't get away with in terms of activity. But right now I have no choice but to lie in bed with this here laptop and 'talk' to you, dear blog readers.

I read another lovely poem by American poet, Jane Hirschfield. I won't quote it all but it's called The Weighing and it's about making peace with what life brings and those moments when the good blots out the bad. When I was acutely ill, I used to get up out of bed about 2am and sit with my top floor window open on summer nights. And even though my days had been a barren struggle just to keep going, I still felt a kind of peace breathing in the scent of the trees and looking out for foxes.

From The Weighing ...

So few grains of happiness
measured against all the dark
and still the scales balance.

The world asks of us
only the strength we have and we give it.
Then it asks more, and we give it.

(Jane Hirschfield).
-C

No comments: