Friday, October 13, 2006

Tell me this...

My late granny used to prefix her questions with the phrase, tell me this and tell me no more... She would ask the same questions over and over again. You're not one of them oul' vegetarians, are you? Are those shoes comfortable? (with an expression that suggested the answer couldn't possibly be yes). If she didn't like a new food she was offered, she'd say, I wouldn't die if I never saw it again or, them to their fancy and me to my Nancy. If she forgot your name in a moment of confusion, she'd refer to you as Fanny Bluehole, or occasionally Fanny by Gaslight. She was a gay icon without realising it.

-C

3 comments:

nmj said...

My 90 yr old granny baffled us all recently by advising my aunt and uncle not to go Tenerife cos *that man* was there. We finally worked out that she thinks Osama bin Laden is hiding in Tenerife . . .

Anna MR said...

Fanny Bluehole! Hell, she must've been a granny and a half.

Sue Jackson said...

Your granny sounds like one of a kind, Ciara! We're always quoting my late grandma's favorites: "Love many, trust few but always paddle your own canoe", "For every pot, there's a lid." And everyone in the family loves to throw out this gem from my great-grandfather who grew up in the Ukraine and tended to tell the same old stories over and over: "So will it kill you to hear it again?" I miss them both and would now love to hear those old stories!

Sue