Thursday, August 21, 2008

Barbapapa and the 37p lemon

Today I am wearing a pale pink jumper and Nice Man commented that I look like Barbapapa - remember him?

World readers might be aware that we are suffering a UK 'credit crunch', and the phrase has to be used on virtually every news bulletin. Of course it's noticeable across all grocery shopping, but yesterday I saw the 37 pence lemon for the first time. In a supermarket too! I remember the stable 15p lemon and the feasible 19p lemon. I had been mildly perturbed by 31p lemon, but wow, 37p? Will it be 45p next month?

Ah, the true cost of man's environmental impact. What on earth can we do for the next generation? Ah well, it's okay...babies probably won't like eating lemons.

-C

3 comments:

The J said...

Actually, here in Nova Scotia, they actually had an item on the 6pm news about the lemons. For some reason, lemon juice is really scarce right now, and lemon producers are sticking to shipping out the whole ones instead of juicing them. At a premium of course. This week, lemons were $1 each, but I got limes 5/$1.

'sok, I like limes more ;).

Now, don't get me started on the price of lettuce!!

Anonymous said...

hi, bin readin yor blog 4 2 yrs or so
stopt wen yor pc wos nicked. just cort up wi u. congrats on yor news. hows it affectin yor me n r u still doin the therapy. my yongest was 5 wen i got me 11 yrs on weve just home ed him thru 6 gcses. u will need lots ft support from nice man. good luck n keep bloggin
peter

nmj said...

Am sure you look great! I remember Barbapapa well, but worryingly have no recollection of Barbamama and the others... I haven't specifically noticed lemons, but everything in the shopping basket now just seems extortionate...