Thursday, January 12, 2006

The way that you do it?


The caption for this cartoon is Home alone and bored. When I was bored as a teenager my Dad used to say 'Only boring people are bored.' What?! I thought he was missing the point. I get it now. You can't just expect excitement to be delivered, gift wrapped, from outside sources. You have to make your own.

Permission to moan? I'm bored. It's a classic wet January day. I don't have full resources to de-bore myself. My energy is drastically depleted and I'm stuck in bed. It's so same-y with chronic ME. I want to go out and run about but I can't. I want to work in an exciting newspaper office or a TV studio or on a film set . I want to walk through the wardrobe door and come out on to a tropical beach. My cells tingle at the very thought.

But, But, But, my friends....I know, yes; I know that moans provide temporary relief and then outstay their welcome - for both the moaner and the moanee.

I have a few social things coming up. I have been asked to do a poetry reading in far away kingdom, East Kilbride. I can still enjoy my friends and family. I am not being tortured in Guantanamo bay. So there is a lot to be thankful for. Let us not forget the immortal words of Bananarama: It's not what you do, it's the way that you do it. Will that wash? I'm not sure; I'll have to think about it. Or not.
-C

No comments: