Thursday, September 10, 2020

The Moment versus The Abyss

 Recently, I watched Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse with Hugh.  Spoiler, there are lots of Spidermen. And even a Spider-woman. It was great film, actually. I surprised myself.



In a tense escape, one Spiderman tries to pass on wisdom to a younger Spiderman. He says,

Let Go! Be in the moment!

The young Spiderman yells back-

I am in the moment! It's a TERRIBLE moment!

In my head, things are back to where they were in March. I would enjoy watching a film or TV programme, and when it was over, I felt the sad rush of remembering the pandemic. It would hit me in the solar plexus, a kind of semi-grief. 

But we could hide from the virus in lockdown. We are lucky enough not to have key-worker jobs, interacting with the public.

Now, I wake at 6am with the dread. The virus IS in my son's school. One case and counting. It's in my nieces's school nearby, and a handful of local schools. 

Everybody KNOWS that kids and teenagers are rubbish at social distancing. They're just kids and teenagers. It's not their fault. 

This is the reality. I know I can't spend hours worrying about it, looking into 'the abyss' of Covid; and whoops, there's another wee abyss called the Climate Emergency. 

 This helps nobody. So, I need to try to learn to use the distracted moments as stepping stones. To 'float forward'. 


The white paws are my comfort. In the half-light of the night time kitchen, I rub them like worry dolls, like 'lucky' rabbit feet.


It sure feels like autumn. Like no other autumn we have known. Float forward, if you can -I know it sounds like a new-age hippy line- one moment at a time. 


PS - Download the Protect Scotland App here. 

No comments: