Monday, September 07, 2020

What Did You Do Today, Mum?

 


After teaching the dog to sit like an accountant, I tried to take her a walk. She was having one of her scaredy-cat days, so the 'walk' involved carrying her in both arms, up a hill, like a kangaroo on a leash. Scooby Doo into Shaggy's arms.



I decided to go home again for a suburban Soya Latte and a decent Panic About Rising Covid Cases. Who doesn't enjoy one of those?


I'm being facetious (3 attempts at spelling facetious), but flippancy aside, this feels different from March. There are fewer escape routes. 

Hugh is at secondary school and Tess at primary. That's a  pool of over 1000 kids. I'm not buying into this 'bubble' talk - after a fortnight back, both of my children were off with colds. This appeared to be the case with tens of thousands of Scottish School kids. Stuff spreads, despite all the measures taken. 

I find myself thinking things like this:

If we get it, will we get it severely? Will we get Long Covid? Will we be 'mild' or even asymptomatic? Will the dog get it? Am I tempting fate by even voicing this? Will I write a told-you-so blog post? Are there any upsides? Relief at getting it 'over with?' Could we go on an idyllic Spanish holiday *after* we recover? But what about the dug? 

Every day, I check for new schools with positive cases. 

Every day, there are 2 or 3 more schools added to the list. 

And it's only September! Winter looks like a national crisis in Poundshop Christmas wrapping paper. 

In poetry news, I have 2 poems in this anthology by Neu Reekie



T'was an honour to be included with big-hitters like Jackie Kay and Jean 'Binta' Breeze. There was supposed to be a launch at Edinburgh Book Festival, but hey ho, it's 2020. 

Time for school pick up soon. Hand gel, masks and croissants at the ready. Isn't life strange? Happy Monday, folks. 



No comments: