Thursday, October 08, 2020

Staying Human - Quite a Trick if You Can Pull it Off


 A decade ago, I  had a new job in a TV company that was falling apart. I didn't know it was falling apart; it became more evident as the weeks rolled by. 

The boss looked like Bill Clinton, or at least, Bill Clinton with more personal problems and a bandaged hand. 

Meanwhile, I had a baby boy kicking inside my belly. 

I wrote a poem about that intense time, and I'm chuffed to have the poem published in this amazing Bloodaxe poetry anthology. What an honour! These anthologies have inspired me for years. 

Honestly, I can't leaf through one, without loads of the poems giving me the shivers, and I think, if only I could write one like that. Now, I can officially die happy. 

Unless, of course, I die of Corona Virus. I won't be happy, at all. What a mess we are all in. 

Quick - look at that rainbow! Note to self : Distract yourself from Planetary Disaster and the lure of the Twitter Doom-scroll.


My best distraction is still the daily dog-walk. Who knew it was a form of meditation for those who don't want to sit crosslegged chanting Ommm? The Wellies are put to good use. I feel like a farmer, tending my fields. Look - this is Glasgow!


And this is Bumcheek. The kids call her Bumcheek when she is being 'naughty'. Or being 'Bum-Cheeky'.  It's become an adjective now.  Someone's been editing photos on my phone. 



Here we go for the October Break. In terms of Covid Risk,  it's a temporary relief having schools shut for the holiday. We don't have any plans, beyond dog-walks, popcorn, Netflix and Nonsense. It's enough. 

Life can be scary, but it's still abundant. And a bit Bum-cheeky. 


Stay Human, fellow Bum Cheeks. X


No comments: