Wednesday, November 18, 2020

I wish I had a river, I could skate away on


I like Tess's drawing of the Skating Minister. As metaphors go, it's quite apt. We slide forward, oh so precariously, fuelled on faith. What else is there?

Well, science obviously. My post on Covid in Schools Risks, got more views than other posts, and I'm still  preoccupied with that concern. 

My mum has decided I'm bugging ScotGov too much, and warned me (in brisk, motherly tones):  'They will never shut schools, no matter how much you campaign'. 

But, Lo! What's that on the horizon? I see the EIS, Scotland's biggest teaching Union put out a statement, insisting that schools in Tier 4 must move to blended learning for the protection of all.  I agree. Let's see.

Time will tell. Obviously, I have to reiterate - I'd much rather kids were at school - but it HAS to be safer than it is now. 

Talking of the future..., Scottish Book Trust and Edinburgh City library are running a wee poetry project about 'The Future'. They want anyone and everyone to write a quick, 4 line poem about what the future is.

I operate from the Say What You See method (remember Catchphrase?). So here is mine:

The Future

comes to those who wait,

it's my dog licking the white table cloth

her paws at ten-to-two, a priest saying mass

to crumbs that fall astray. 


What else people? Honest-lee, Honest-la. Not much!? Punctuate your days with cups of tea. 

I need to get started with my online 'Santa' shopping. Something I don't excel at. Last year, Tess set out 'booby traps' for Santa - taught skipping ropes, tied to the bed leg. 

She heard me stumbling about, filling stockings at midnight, trying not to swear when I tripped. 'Very Ciara MacLaverty', she said. Yes. 

Keep Skating, look ahead, chin up. 












 

No comments: