Thursday, November 05, 2020

Nothing, pure nothing in the middle of the day

This is the first moment I can sit down. The first moment not devoted to other things. 

It reminds me of a poem called DAYSTAR by Rita Dove. It's a poem about the vast immersion of motherhood and those small moments coming up for air. 

It is 12 years since I gave birth to my son. Happy Birthday, Hugh! Sometimes known as Hugo Boss or The Hughster. He's a cracker, and how we love him.

We've all aged well, and know how to dress appropriately. The kids can be suitably embarrassed by this photo. I'm suitably embarrassed by this photo. It was a game called, 60 seconds to raid the dressing up box, on Halloween. 


Tess was off school for 2 days. Her infuriating Vocal Cord Dysfunction cough relapsed. 

The online nutritionists seem to cost the same as a fortnight in Majorca for a family of four.  Who knew? I expect they also require a lot of dietary commitment (euphemism for giving up wheat, dairy and sugar). Easy for any child?! 

I haven't given up trying. I'm just researching down more rabbit holes* ( *with organic lettuce and carrots). And the price would be worth paying, if it helped to heal her. 

I remain very concerned about the Covid risk in schools. You don't have to be a scientist, to see the massive potential for aerosol spread in the classrooms. Studies are emerging to this effect. This is a very important article about the school scandal.

The kids do enjoy school and they will be bored silly if schools close, but I can't really see HOW countries can get the 'R' level below 1, with schools open. None of this talk of  'some progress'...we can't argue with the R number. It's like running UP the 'DOWN' escalator. 

If the R level is even 1.1, that means exponential growth (click on this video)  which inevitably leads to medical and moral catastrophe. 

Righty-ho, if there are readers out there shouting 'cheer up, hen, don't mention the war', then I'll let you win this time. I'll savour this brief moment of suspended peace, in the middle of the day.

 The dog is lying in a pool of carpet-sunlight. Behind our garden, I hear the JCB diggers knocking down the old people's home that was, 'surplus to requirement',  according to Glasgow City Council. But there are always old people, needing homes....(?!)

The leaves are falling from the trees. 

The world is doing what the world does. And we are breathing. Let's not underestimate it. 





No comments: